Autumn Term 2018
Welcome to Year 1! Our class teachers are Miss Poppleton in Y1 Apollo and Mr Garbutt in Y1 Venus. We are very excited to be teaching the new Y1 children and look forward to building on their successes in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Here’s some information to help you get organised:
- Children should be lined up on the yard by 8.30am every morning when they will be collected. Try not to be late as this can be unsettling for your child.
- Please bring your PE kit on MONDAY and leave it at school until FRIDAY before taking home to wash.
- Once children are bringing reading books home please make sure they are brought to school and changed regularly (every day if you can!)
- Please put names in your child’s uniform to help prevent it getting lost.
Here’s some information about our learning in Y1:
- The children will be learning phonics through Read Write Inc. Come to our phonics open morning at 9am on 4th October to find out more.
- In maths the children will be learning place value (within 10) and adding and subtracting (within 10) using the White Rose Maths scheme.
- Our topic text is The Lonely Beast by Chris Judge
We will be writing reports about boats, a recount of the Beast’s journey and instructions for making your own Lonely Beast to take home!
We will also be using the story to learn about floating and sinking in science and STEM. We’ll design and test our own boats!